The gunman who carried out the massacre at Virginia Tech fired more than 170 rounds in nine minutes and died with a bullet to his head in a classroom surrounded by his victims, authorities said Wednesday.

Police provided new details about the case at a news conference on the campus of Virginia Tech.

They said Cho Seung Hui had chained shut three public entrances in the building where he killed 30 students and teachers. Two other victims were gunned down two hours early at a dormitory across campus.

State Police Superintendent Col. W. Steven Flaherty and Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchem addressed a news conference Wednesday.

Flaherty reiterated what he had told The Associated Press in an interview a day earlier: computer files, cell phone records and e-mails have yielded no evidence about what triggered Seung-Hui Cho’s massacre and how he chose his 32 victims.

Authorities say they have no link between the 23-year-old loner and his victims.

“We certainly don’t have any one motive that we are pursuing at this particular time, or that we have been able to pull together and formulate,” Flaherty said Tuesday. “It’s frustrating because it’s so personal, because we see the families and see the communities suffering, and we see they want answers.”

Flaherty spoke to the AP after spending the day in meetings with investigators to prepare for Wednesday’s news conference.

Flaherty, who is overseeing the investigative team looking at the shootings, said police also have been unable to answer one of the case’s most vexing questions: Why the spree began at the West Ambler Johnston dorm, and why 18-year-old freshman Emily Hilscher was the first victim.

Police have searched Hilscher’s e-mails and phone records looking for a link. While Flaherty would not discuss exactly what police found, he said neither Cho’s nor Hilscher’s records have revealed a connection.

Flaherty said there was also no link to 22-year-old senior Ryan Clark, who was also killed at the dorm. Nor do investigators know why Cho, an English major, selected Norris Hall a building that is home primarily to engineering offices to culminate his attack. Cho Hueng Hui killed 30 people there before taking his own life.

Frustrating their effort, Flaherty said, is the fact that Cho revealed himself to so few people. Even family members have said they rarely heard him speak.

“I guess the thing that is most startling to me, I say startling, surprising, is a young man who’s 23 years old, that’s been here for a while, that seemed to not know anybody,” he said.

Gov. Timothy M. Kaine met with Korean-American leaders to assure them that Virginians do not hold people of Korean descent responsible for the tragedy. Cho Seung Hui was a South Korean immigrant who came to the U.S. at about age 8 and was raised in suburban Washington.

“I can assure you that no one in Virginia no one in Virginia views the Korean community as culpable in this incident in the least degree,” Kaine said.

He said state officials will watch for any reprisals against Korean Americans but that none have been reported.

The Virginia Korean leaders asked Kaine to boost mental-health funding for immigrants and their families.

Thank you Associated Press for this information.

I do not blame the Korean Community for what happened on Virginia Techs University’s Campus.

That would be insane as well. There has been enough insanity.
It is now a time for healing and forgiving.

~The Baby Boomer Queen~